From some article:
"The message is contained on a 30-centimeter (12-inch) gold-plated phonograph record. It contains a variety of sounds, 115 images, spoken greetings in 55 languages, printed messages from former President Jimmy Carter and then UN Secretary General, Kurt Waldheim, and a selection of music.
The sounds include wind, rain, surf, a chimpanzee, a Saturn 5 rocket, footsteps, a heartbeat, laughter, and a mother's kiss.
The images range from the structure of DNA to a diagram of continental drift and a violin with sheet music.
The record was assembled by a committee that was headed by the late astronomer, Carl Sagan."
Here's my mix tape for the universe, if you asked me instead of Carl Sagan. Of course it's all indie because it's on vinyl:
1. Track 3- Sigur Ros, from ( ) album
2. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate- Flaming Lips
3. Vito's Ordination Song- Sufjan Stevens
4. 7/4 Shoreline- Broken Social Scene
5. Track 2- Sigur Ros, from Untitled #1 Single
6. Do You Realize?- The Flaming Lips
7. re: stacks- Bon Iver
8. Hoppipolla- Sigur Ros
9. Wake Up- Arcade Fire
10. The Trapeze Swinger- Iron & Wine
11. Pitter Patter Goes My Heart- Broken Social Scene
12. Such Great Heights- The Postal Service
13. Staralfur- Sigur Ros
14. Stability- Death Cab For Cutie
15. Transatlanticism- Death Cab For Cutie
16. Us- Regina Spektor
17. Sleeping Lessons- The Shins