Thursday, February 10, 2011

How to talk about Egypt without knowing a damn thing


I've been interviewing and talking to people and sitting in undergrad classes all over the city lately and I've discovered an annoying trend: People are running their mouths about the situation in Egypt 24/7, but the fact is, they have basically no idea what they're talking about. In fact, I've found that most opinionated people talking about Egypt didn't know the first thing about the situation there until about 2 weeks ago.

Full disclosure: I didn't know anything about Egypt before the revolution, and I still don't know anything. But I'm not making any bold proclamations! And I'm certainly not doing it in class!

So if you want to sound concerned about Egypt, here's a product for you-- the "How to talk about Egypt without knowing a damn thing" Mad Lib!


Well, I think, personally, that the situation over there is really (NEGATIVE ADJECTIVE) and I really just think it's great that the people are doing what they're doing. But I don't really know, because like, it's so (NEGATIVE ADJECTIVE) it's hard to know what's the best thing to do.

Like, obviously, anything is better than (AUTOCRAT STARTING WITH LETTER M), considering all the (BAD STUFF) he did but who knows , I mean sometimes, as the saying goes, (IDIOM TO THE EFFECT OF THE DEMON YOU KNOW IS BETTER THAN THE DEMON YOU DON'T KNOW). And who knows what could happen, you know, like, once this happens, like will (DOOMSDAY SCENARIO) take hold, causing (DOOMSDAY SCENARIO) and even (DOOMSDAY SCENARIO)? Like, that could totally be the case.

But really I think the US is not innocent here because we backed (AUTOCRAT STARTING WITH LETTER M) even that we knew he was a (ADJECTIVE), (ADJECTIVE), (ADJECTIVE) autocrat. And I just read this article in (PUBLICATION FOR WHITE PEOPLE) and it was talking about how like (CONTENT OF ARTICLE) and that really makes sense to me, probably because I didn't know anything about this until my friend told me about in on gchat.

So I think it will be interesting to see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! The last paragraph, in particular, is genius. I chuckle every time I get to it. ~mlk

    ReplyDelete